Dogen Sangha Blog

  by Gudo NISHIJIMA

Japanese / German

Thursday, July 19, 2007

does it make sense? How is it?

Dear Master Gudo Wafu Nishijima,

Thank you for your clear and realistic answers. Today I´d like to ask the following
questions.


Dear Dr Hohlfeld,

Thank you very much for your interesting questions. And my answers are as follows.

Gudo Wafu Nishijima

Q.1: Does Buddhism can give us an answer to old questions like: where do we come from?

A.1: It is impossible for us to answer such a question, I think.

Q. Who are we?

A. We do not know.

Q. Where do we go (after this life)?

A. We will vanish from the world.


Q.2: What is the aim or destination of life?

A.2: The aim or destination of life is to live, and to do something useful for human civilization.


Q.3: Do we have a task to fulfill?

A.3: We do not have a task to fulfill originally, but if we set some kind of task in our life, and if we make our efforts to accomplish it, then we can be happy in our life, and if we accomplish it we will be very happy.

Q.4: Do we have to get out of samsara?

A.4: Samsara has been produced by our consideration or by our sense perception, and so if we have broken samsara, there is nothing, which is called samsara.


Thank you for listening! Best wishes

siegfried hohlfeld


Thank you very much for your nice questions.

Gudo Wafu Nishijima

2 Comments:

Blogger Smoggyrob said...

Hi everyone:

Siegfried, I've been enjoying your questions, and I've even been playing along. I call it, "Are You As Awakened As A Zen Master?" Basically, I write down /my/ answers to your questions, and then compare them to Nishijima Roshi's answers. So far, my score is zero. 8^D

Please take this next comment in the karuna-filled way I intend it. Also, this is just my opinion, and I have no idea how anyone else feels about it.

I prefer the way the blog used to be, where the main page contained Roshi's posts, and all of our comments were on these comment pages. It made it easier for me, when I felt like doing so, to avoid the comments and questions and concentrate on Roshi's posts. Just my take on things.

Feel free to completely ignore me. And keep on asking questions, Siegfried, until you run out of them!

Sincerely,

Rob

9:55 AM, July 21, 2007  
Blogger Kurt said...

Dear Master Nishijima,
thank you very much for your answers based on a realistic view.
Today I may ask you for your assistance once more. Can you give me the translation of "E Koo Ge" in English?
Thank you very much in advance.
Your's sincerely
Regina

5:26 PM, July 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home